Sunday, September 26, 2010

Heh ...

So obviously I won't be updating every day with things about how I am doing with eating and exercising - mostly because I suck am super busy. Lol. But I will do an update with how I have been doing so far. So, this week went well. I am using myfitnesspal.com to keep track of calories and eating so that is going pretty well. It is nice to have somewhere I can quickly and reliably look up the calories of tons of foods I eat. So, I have been keeping track on there and that is going well because I always feel guilty when I go over my suggested for the day - hopefully that will keep me from overeating too much. Lol.

Then I have started doing the 'couch to 5k' running plan. I am not really a runner. The last time I did any kind of running was when I was in high school and I would have to run for rugby, but that was a long long time ago (like 10 years) and since then I have had ups and downs but never really done much serious exercise. So this is what I am trying, I hope it works.  It has done me well so far. This week's weight loss was 2.1% which I was super excited about and thought was really good, until I got the update email with everyone's weekly loss and I did the worst. What!? Suck a duck. The top person lost  4.52%. Craptastic. Although so far all I have felt is extra motivation and not utter defeat, so that is good.

Problem areas: I have a hard time saying no when people want to go out to eat and stuff like that. Usually I can do okay and just plan it into my day and not do too terrible, but some days I suck. It is hard when I go out at lunch with work folks and then friends want to go out after work as well. I don't want to say no to either group and so I just end up overeating. I will work on that. Another problem area (at least this week, not sure if this will continue to be a problem) is that my former roommate is getting married soon and so we had a bridal shower for her on Saturday. It was cheesecake based because she LOVES cheesecake so I overate junky stuff on Saturday and also I was kinda forced into taking a ton home so now I have it sitting in my fridge tempting me. Good thing my roommate has said she will help me take care of it, but still, I need to get rid of it! The thing is there will always be something - shower, conference breakfast (next weekend), wedding receptions, hanging out with friends - that involve food. I just need to make sure to let myself indulge, but not OVER indulge and I need to learn to make good decisions about what I am eating. I have been doing better, but I still have a long way to go. Next week I plan to at least catch up to miss 4.52%, but I would like to surpass her as well - we'll see how that goes. :D

3 comments:

  1. You'll do great.

    and 2.1% is amazing! Way to go, Mands!

    For the eating out...here's what I learned to do. Immediately ask for a to-go box when your food comes. Pack half of it up for later. You'll have less on your plate and feel less inclined to overeat.

    If you don't eat it the next day, throw it away. It sucks at first because it's like throwing money away. Portions at restaurants are huge. It's fine. You'll be better off.

    As far as all the cheesecake and other deliciousness in your fridge, agree to take it home, ration out a piece or two or three for the week and throw away the rest. No one will know you did it. Your body will love you more and you'll love your body more.

    Okay, off my soapbox.

    {but I've learned quite a bit in the last little while as I've struggled to lose weight on my own - and I've been successful, too!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Dallin and I started a "diet" this week. Mainly because we haven't watched what we have been eating at all since Benton was born. And I still have pregnancy weight to shake off, so it will be inspiring to watch this blog and see your progress. You can do it!

    Oh and I remember the going out to lunch/dinner problem. Now I am too cheap! We go out to dinner once a month. On suggestion to help on that is add up how much you spend a month on going out and you will probably be able to think of other things to spend that money on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Mandy. this is really inspiring to me. I've been doing terrible with my diet and exercise, your blog is motivating me to work on my weight. We can keep checking in with each other. 4% is crazy. I think I'd be thrilled with 2.1%

    ReplyDelete